Pressure Cooker Italian Chicken Soup
Made in a pressure cooker, it takes approximately 20 minutes for a full, hearty meal. This soup also freezes beautifully.
makes 8 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 bone-in chicken breast half, skin removed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 cup mild salsa
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add sausage meat, and cook until browned, breaking it into crumbles. Remove sausage to a plate and drain oil. Add another 1 teaspoon of olive oil to pressure cooker; cook onion and garlic until onion is transparent. Add barley and stir 1 minute. Return sausage to pressure cooker. Add lentils, chicken, parsley, and chicken stock to cooker, adding enough stock to completely cover chicken. Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring pressure cooker to full pressure over high heat (this may take 15 minutes). Reduce heat to medium high; cook for 9 minutes. Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if necessary.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat; use quick-release following manufacturer’s instructions or allow pressure to drop on its own. Open cooker and remove chicken; shred meat and return to soup. Add garbanzo beans, spinach and salsa; stir to blend and heat through before serving.
Please take advantage of our “Post Your Recipes!” form, to share your own recipes.
You’ll find all the cookware, bowls and utensils you need to make this recipe and more for your Kitchen, Dining Room and Bar In Pandora’s Kitchen, our sister site.