Valencia is a Spanish coastal city where this dish is particularly revered. This paella features seafood, sausage and chicken but don’t forget the saffron — it is the essential spice of the dish.
Yield:6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Spanish chorizo sausage (about 2 ounces)
- 2 (2-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 cup Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup water
- 18 mussels (about 3/4 pound), scrubbed and debearded
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped bottled roasted red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Add shrimp to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Add chorizo to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until browned. Add chorizo to bowl.
Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the tomato, capers, and saffron; cook 1 minute. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, rice, wine, and broth to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
Add shrimp mixture, peas, 1/4 cup water, and mussels to pan. Cover and cook 8 minutes over medium heat or until mussels open; discard any unopened shells. Remove from heat, and stir in bell pepper and cilantro. Let stand 3 minutes.
Serve with lemon wedges.
Please take advantage of our “Post Your Recipes!” form, to share your own recipes.
You’ll find all the cookware, bowls and utensils you need to make this recipe and more for your Kitchen, Dining Room and Bar In Pandora’s Kitchen, our sister site.