Maja Blanca (Coconut Pudding)
This is a popular dessert among Filipinos. It can be served with different presentations. It will contain small kernels of sweet corn inside and topped with flakes of roasted coconut meat. Often it will also have shredded Cheddar cheese on top.”
Yields: 10 servings
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Butter an 8-inch baking dish or pie pan, and set aside. Mix 1/2 cup of water with the cornstarch in a bowl, and stir until smooth.
- Combine the coconut milk, 3/4 cup of water, and sugar in a saucepan over low heat, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil, add the corn kernels, and then stir in the cornstarch mixture, stirring quickly to avoid lumps as it becomes very thick. Bring the mixture back to a boil, and simmer until fully thickened and smooth, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Pour the maja blanca into the prepared dish, and set aside to cool until firm, about 2 hours.
- Place the coconut flakes in a dry skillet over medium heat, and stir to toast. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn. Remove the toasted coconut flakes to a bowl, let cool, and sprinkle over the pudding before serving.
Please take advantage of our “Post Your Recipes!” form, to share your own recipes.
You’ll find all the bowls, bake ware and utensils you need to make this recipe and more for your Kitchen, Dining Room, Bar In Pandora’s Kitchen, our sister site.