Classic Baked Macaroni & Cheese
It’s from my 1946 edition. This recipe is hands down the best for traditional, homemade baked macaroni & cheese – comfort food.
Please Note: If you try to use CHEAP CHEESE you will end up with a BLAND and FLAVORLESS DISH!
- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black (or white) pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded good quality
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, buttered
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter.
- Using a whisk, add flour mixed with salt and pepper and stir until well blended.
- Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
- Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook stirring constantly, 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Turn off heat.
- Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use – once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer. I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature. Then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.
Please take advantage of our “Post Your Recipes!” form, to share your own recipes.
You’ll find all the cookware, bowls and utensils you need to make this recipe and more for your Kitchen, Dining Room and Bar In Pandora’s Kitchen, our sister site.