Calamares is one of the Philippines most famous dishes, either with rice or with ice cold beer, as pulutan
that is. It is also one of the easier Filipino dishes to cook. Perhaps this explains the increasing popularity of street vendors selling calamares nowadays.
Yields: 5 servings
- 1 kg medium sized Squid
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup oil
- 5 pcs calamansi (lime) or 1 pc lemon
- Clean the Squid, remove the head, ink sacs and tentacles discarded, outer purple skin peeled off and do not cut squid open.
- Slice squid into ½ inch rings. Marinate in calamansi juice for about 15 minutes.
- Dip squid rings in egg whites, then dredge in flour.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry squid rings in hot oil a few pieces at a time until they turn golden yellow, about 1 minute. Do not overcook as this will make the squid tough.
- Remove squid rings from the wok and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Garlic Mayonnaise Dip as an appetizer.
Please take advantage of our “Post Your Recipes!” form, to share your own recipes.
You’ll find all the deep fryers and utensils you need to make this recipe and more for your Kitchen, Dining Room, Bar In Pandora’s Kitchen, our sister site.