Count on your slow cooker to deliver this favorite Indian dish–savory Butter Chicken.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup plain yogurt (not nonfat)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker. Place chicken pieces on top.
- Combine ginger, garlic, almonds, yogurt, garam masala and salt in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl with a flexible spatula as necessary. Add tomatoes and pulse once to combine. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 4 to 5 hours. Stir in heavy cream, cover and cook until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving, if desired.
Please take advantage of our “Post Your Recipes!” form, to share your own recipes.
You’ll find all the cookware, bowls and utensils you need to make this recipe and more for your Kitchen, Dining Room and Bar In Pandora’s Kitchen, our sister site.