Baked Apple – Pie
If you think the best part of an apple pie is the filling, but aren’t ready to give up the crust entirely, this is one you’ll like.
½ recipe of Spiced Quinoa Pie Crust
6 medium Granny Smith Apples
1 t lemon juice
1 t flour
½ t pumpkin pie spice
½ t cinnamon
½ c sugar
1 T sugar
½ t cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare and roll out your pie crust on parchment paper and place into the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
3. Wash apples and cut the tops of four of them (do not peel). Hollow out the core and some of the apple to make an apple bowl.
4. Place in an 8×8 glass baking dish or 4 individual small ramekins. I find that the small ramekins fit apples beautifully.
5. Peel, core and dice the other 2 apples and place in a small bowl.
6. Add lemon juice, flour, pumpkin pie spice, ½ t cinnamon, and ½ c sugar to the apples. Mix.
7. Spoon apple mixture into the apple bowls. Pack slightly and fill to the top.
8. Remove pie crust from the refrigerator and cut strips about 4 inches by ½ inch.
9. Place 4 strips of the pie crust onto each apple in a lattice pattern. If you’re using the small ramekins you can choose to use just above the rim as a stopping point for the strips of crust. Which keep a more uniform look to them.
10. Combine 1 T sugar and ½ t cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the pie crust lattice pattern on each apple.
11. Bake for 30-40 minutes until crust is golden and apple is soft.
12. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5-10 minutes before moving out of the dish to serve, because they’re soft and can break easily. That’s why I prefer to bake them in the individual small ramekins. That way you don’t need to move them at all, you simply serve them as is in their own dish. Although you may want to put a saucer under them, to catch any juices that might spill over as they’re eaten.
Please take advantage of our “Post Your Recipes!” form, to share your own recipes.
You’ll find all the bowls, utensils, bake ware or cookware you need to make this recipe and more for your Kitchen, Dining Room & Bar In Pandora’s Kitchen, our sister site.